Kite Riders Message Forums

It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 10:22 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:19 am 
Site Admin

I just posted this on Facebook. Here are some quick comments on some much needed reminders and advice on safety issues. Will follow up with more soon, but given today will probably be an Olbrich day at some point, these need to be said and adhered to at all times.

Good morning Madison area kite boarders. Looks like the rains have passed and one small band in Iowa might hit us. Going to start at McDaniels today with some training and depending on changes of direction, might move to Olbrich or Burrows later in the day.

Please keep in mind safety issues at all times.

At Olbrich DO NOT ride over buoys. Same thing goes for any buoys at any beach.

If there are kids or others on a beach, be smart about launching or landing. Make sure no-one is downwind of you or in your path if something goes wrong. At Olbrich, you should launch your kite in clean air, but NOT on the beach if others are on the beach. Launch on land and sneak out around the corner to get into the water and then move upwind to launch.

I have red soccer cones that can help give us a pathway in and out at Olbrich, but I probably won't be there until after most others are due to me being at McDaniels first.

When riding around new students, or anyone for that matter, let your presence be known if you are riding underneath someone's kite. We've had some people surprise new students by zooming right underneath during lessons.

If you are unsure of any of these comments, seek out myself or another established rider for clarification. It will be a busy day on the water, so be safe.

More to come soon.