Kite Riders Message Forums

It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:37 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:10 pm 

Let the cat out of the bag guys. I know Bob got a bunch of Omegas, so what is the review? Is it the same shape as the SB II with a different bridle? Turning speed, lift, ease of use, stability, blah, blah, blah?

Bill has a 9m, but he has only ridden it once and the wind was screamin' that day, so we couldn't get much of big picture on the kite.

Thanks,
Stafford
________
Weed

Last edited by droffats on Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:23 am 

The Omega,

I have seen the Omega 9m in action last tuesday at Sheboygan in 20-35 knts with the pulley 2-1 bar settup, and I flew the 12 meter in 17-25 gust over 30 with both 1-1 and 2-1 depower settups on sunday in madison.

I did not fly the 9m but Andrew and Greg both got a session in and they seemed to like the kite. Greg flew the kite earlier in the day when the winds were a little lighter and even though Andrew and I saw some pretty high jumps and he went straight upwind Greg said he was a little underpowered (winds 20-25). Andrew flew the 9 meter later in the afternoon with a big board and went after the waves. He seemed to be doing fine and the kite looked very stable from my viewpoint. I was on a 9m crossbowII and had some of the biggest jumps of my life (winds 25-35 with gusts a little higher).

I flew the 12m on sunday in 3 sessions.

10-12am 17-27knts 2-1 bar settup- The kite looked a little big in the air compared to my crossbow II , but if you lay them out they are the same size but the shape is different( lower aspect). It has good turning speed not as fast as crsbII but faster than the switchbladeII. I did have some high floaty jumps and the kite handled the gusts like a bow kite should, when the gusts hit i sheeted out on the bar and the kite flew to the edge of the window . People kiting with me said the jumps were 20-25ft and super floaty and the windsurfers were impressed with how well the kite seemed to handle the gusts.

12:30-1:30 17-25 for 30 min then horrific gusts over 30 for 30 min 1-1 depower settup. I converted the bar and the kite in about 10 min. For the bar you dettach the outside leader lines from where they connect to the center lines and you run the whole line through the larkshead that you dettached and you reattach it to a manufactures knot on the leader line. On the kite you move one bridle piece from one attachment point to another about a foot away and you are ready to ride. There is no bar pressure, none, it deffinetly takes some getting used to , but it is a nice rest for the arms. I haven't ridden a c kite in a while and when i did i didn't do much unhooked riding so its tough for me to compare but i will say that the kite was stable when unhooked, didn't have the hang time on the jumps when hooked in, although i did get some height. Then it got supper gusty and i was reminded why i switched to 2-1 pulley bar settup for my equipment. Even with the depower strap pulled all the way and the bar sheeted all the way out i could not comfortably handle the gusts. i wouldn't expect to be able to with any 1-1 kite in those wind conditions. I did the right thing and came in and went to the bar for lunch.

4:30-6:00 17-25mph 2-1 settup. After a great session on my 9m switchblade 1 the wind calmed down enough to go back to the 12.
Converting the kite back to 2-1 is no problem. The wind was steadier than in the morning and i had a nice ride. The kite is stable, easy to handle on the bar (depower/safety sytem), i thought the lift and float was a little better than the switchbladeII but it won't outboost a crossbow II.

I forgot to mention a nice feature about the line settup. I don't know the exact line lengths but the settup is 20 meter lines with 5 meter exstentions( or something close to that). This gives the rider the option of line length, so you can take more power out of the kite if neccessary. turns a 12 into a 10

I hope that review helps answer any questions. I would call the Omega a very user friendly kite, the conversion system is not a gimic, it works and gives you the feel of two different kites and i look forward to working with it in the future.

jens

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:00 pm 

so....jens

based on your experiences

on a scale 1-10 , 10 being "the shizz"

crossbowII
SwitchbladeII
TD2
Omega

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:15 pm 

for me

crossbow II 9
switchblade II 8
TD2 14m 7.5 (very limited exp.)
Omega 8 (like to give it another go in steadier wind)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:49 pm 

Excellent info Jens.

Couple more Q's....

Are there battens in the Omega and how does that effect packing up the kite?

Regardless of cost, SBII or Omega?

Thanks,
Stafford
________
RHODE ISLAND MARIJUANA DISPENSARIES

Last edited by droffats on Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:41 am 

there are no battens so that is not an issue, too early for me to choose between the two kites but it seems that with all the options that the omega offers it could be a better all around kite.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:11 pm 
Site Admin

jens...great write up.

btw...me gots plenty of omegas in stock ready to fly or try.

also...SB 2's and some CB 2's.

bob

oh...jens...forgot to tell ya the other day...rode with dimitri on the slick in hatteras. stopped and talked for a while. even tried his eclipse kite. the guy rips, but you have to ride with your head on a swivel...'cuz you never know whene he's coming down.

the wind gods are being super cool this week. looking forward to riding with the bros.