Kite Riders Message Forums

It is currently Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:05 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:25 pm 

Most of you probably already know this trick but I just tried it for the first time this winter.

I purchased an ice screw that is normally used for ice climbing. It screws into the ice super fast with one hand. I then use a carribeaner to hook my chicken loop to it while laying out my lines. This keeps the bar from sliding across the snow/ice. I then attach the lines to the kite (which was being held in place in the down position with my skis). Then, If I have a C kite, I turn the kite leading edge down, put my skis on, ski back up to the bar/chicken loop which is being held in place by the ice screw, attach my bar to my harness, reverse launch the kite and off I go. Obviously, if I am using a bow kite, I just walk the kite out to the edge of the window and lay it on its side. Ski back up to the bar and off I go.

This works great. Especially for self landing. Just do the same thing but in reverse.

You just have to remember to leave your kite bag near the ice screw so that you don't impale yourself on it while kiting.