Kite Riders Message Forums

It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 9:05 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:50 pm 

Wanted to get the word out on a new kiteboarding club in Wisconsin. We ride out of Fond du Lac on Lake Winnebago. We love kiteboarding and want to protect and share kiteboarding in the area. Our temporary website is http://www.doitallsports.com/WAK/Website/Home.html We are hosting our 1st annual kiteboarding event this February 9,10, 11! We are hoping to have the right conditions for several events. This is the weekend of the Sturgeon spearing on Lake Winnebago so there are about 10,000 people on the lake, a real spectacle. We will hopefully be having kitercross races, speed run, freestyle, and several riding sessions. Also available will be food, drink, music, heated tent, Sturg-o-rama, non-kiting events, and one fun time. For more info, contact us wakkiteboarding@hotmail.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:25 pm 

Thanks for the post, I will definetly try and make it out there!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:54 pm 

We are going to host the Sturgeon Stampede this weekend in Fond du lac. We might have to move it just south of Fishermans Road. You would still get on the ice at Fishermans, but then drive 1/2 mile south on the ice. It can't be missed, and you will see the kites from Hwy. 151 on your way in. If you are interested, thinking about coming, or have any questions/need help, let me know! Jason (920)948-7234 or Dan (920)960-9676! Hope to see and ride with you!

Jason
WAK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:41 pm 
Site Admin

jason,

what is the latest on this weekend? looks like we'll only have ice and not much for winds.

bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:57 am 

Update from today's activities on the ice. There is no snow at all on the lake at this time! There is lot's of ice, but it is pretty waterlogged ice. Basically, the water from all the snow that melted on the lake this past weekend has either soaked through or froze on top. This means a crunchy surface of ice on the top on parts of the lake. Other parts are just ice. When we drilled holes, there was 26" of ice just off shore and about 20" right where we were originally planning on having the event. The ice was soft enough I think I could have rode with my board today. But with the cold, it will harden the ice a bit more. I am not sure how well you will be able to ride with a board once it hardens. Ski's definitely have a better chance of riding. You definitely need your pads as it will be hard falling on the ice. Either way we will be heading out to the lake all weekend to party. You can bet that if the conditions are good enough to ride, we will definitely be riding. Worst case scenario, we drink and party a little more and find some other fun activities to do (ice bowling, ice boats, frisbee, etc). We will still have food for sale and plenty of drinks! If you have questions, feel free to call me: Jason (920)948-7234. I should be out to the ice by early afternoon tomorrow, so I should be able to give an update on ice conditions and the outlook of kiting over the weekend. I will also try to post an update tomorrow night also! There is snow in the forecast, but I don't think it will be much. Either way, it definitely won't be the greatest of riding conditions, but if possible we will give it a try.