Kite Riders Message Forums

It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 9:38 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Gov Nelson Rules
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 10:51 am 

My wife talked with Renee, the head ranger at G Nelson, about kite boarding at the park the other day. It seems that Renee is fond of us and what we are doing and has been an advocate for letting us launch and ride from the beach. She even has some pictures posted on the web page (although I couldn't find them).

However, she did say that her layer has warned her that she should not be promoting this and that it is technically considered parasailing from a legal standpoint (not sure why). She warned that it is a fragile situation and if there is any kind of incident that we could get shut down.

It seems everybody has been following the rules really well and if we continue we should be good to go. Here is a reminder of the basic rules that come to mind for this launch:

- Don't cut through the area with the mechanical equipment when walking from the parking lot (She specifically mentioned this to my wife).
- Don't launch from the beach if there are people on it or if the swim bouys are up.
- Definately don't ride in the swim area when the bouys are up.
- Stay south of the swim area when water launching.
- Set up kites as far off to the north side as possible and keep the lowest profile we can.
- Don't leave lines or kites on the beach when there are persons around.
- Finally, we need to make sure we don't spill into the new pavilian area when there are parties.

Spread the word!

Rod Harrington

Post subject: Re: Gov Nelson Rules
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 10:18 pm 
Site Admin

Karl wrote:
- Don't cut through the area with the mechanical equipment when walking from the parking lot (She specifically mentioned this to my wife).

Rod Harrington

Rod...good stuff, but can you explain the above? I'm not sure what this is referring to unless it's cutting through the area that is 'wet"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:33 am 

Its the wet area that has been roped off in the past. The shortcut we all have taken.